Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Eye of Sauron

There is a major intersection that I go through when I drive to work. One of the red lights is burned out in the middle, and every time I am stopped at that intersection, I feel like the eye of Sauron is watching me. It's slightly unnerving.

Also, on Sunday I had my first Stuff Christians Like moment. I really like the blog Stuff Christians Like, written by Jon Acuff. I have it on my blog feed/side bar, and you may want to check it out. Jon pokes fun at some things that Christians do, but as he is a Christian himself, it is more redeeming than skewering. His serious Wednesdays are also very good. They almost always hit me square between the eyes. Anyway, he wrote a post a while back about saving seats in church and how he found it largely unnecessary. Last Sunday, I decided to check out the fellowship hall service, which is smaller and has a different style of worship than the large services. (Though I didn't see much difference.) The pastor still gives the sermon, but it is a smaller group. So, I decided to check it out. I went by myself and was a bit late coming in. I was looking for a place to sit without being too conspicuous, and I saw two seats open on an end. I went to the seats, sat down, and the lady a seat over says, "I'm sorry, but these are saved." What? There was nothing on the seats to indicate that they were saved. The sermon had already started. I was new to the service (though she wouldn't know that), and I had to move because the seats were saved. It did not make me feel good or accepted, which is something that I've been struggling with this church anyway. Oh well. Rant over.

On Sunday, I also saw the movie Avatar. It is a good movie; visually stunning, even if the plot was predictable. The effects were amazing and it was a beautiful film. I did not like the mother earth, spirituality, New Age, all energy is connected stuff, but that is almost a given to be included in movies like this. Also, I really liked how the Nauvoo (native blue creatures) were composites of almost all primitive civilizations. I saw aspects of American Indians, Central and South American and African peoples, as well as some South Seas influences. Twas pretty cool.

Well, I have a lot to do still.

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Invisible Man said...

Oh I'm jealous (of the movie, not the Church experience).

Maybe I'll have to check that out on Sunday or something.

It can be very difficult to feel welcomed in a Church. It just takes time to feel like part of the community - something I have a terribly hard time waiting for.