Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Fat Tuesday, Ash Wednesday

I bought paczkis today. They are my favorite part of Mardi Gras. I took a long time to decide which ones I wanted, and as I was leaving the display, two people came up, and the guy said "they're just donuts." The girl replied "they're Polish donuts." I gave them a look. Paczkis are so much better than regular donuts! Anyway, I ended up with white icing and raspberry filling. Mmmm. When I checked out, the cashier said that they looked really good, and I replied that they were the best part of Mardi Gras. The lady in front of me was older and had an accent, and she replied that it was the last day to indulge, because tomorrow was ashes. The statement was simple enough, but at that moment, I realized what Lent is all about. Being very low church, I do not generally celebrate Lent, as I think it can be more focused on what one gives up rather than the reason behind it. But, Lent is to prepare for Easter. To focus less on ourselves and more on Christ. Though I'm not going to give anything up for Lent, I am going to try to focus more on Him. So, I guess my Lenten resolution is to have more consistent quiet times of being in the Word and praying.

3 comments:

Ancient Aunt said...

Nice thoughts! I hope you are able to keep that resolution... it's one we all should follow. - Our church never makes anything of the Lenten season, but in years past (before our accident), Uncle Bob and I used to go to the Lenten services at the local Lutheran church, sometimes singing in their choir. We had many nice experiences, and I came to appreciate the emphasis on the season and the reminders of Jesus' life and all that He has done for us. - Take care. Love, Your Ancient Aunt

busymama431 said...

well said, brenna! :) i like that..."low church" :)

Kara said...

I don't generally give anything up, but I do love Lent just as a time to really focus on Christ's death and resurrection.