Sunday, March 13, 2011

A Weekend of Good Movies

It is the first weekend of spring break, and I have been taking it easy. I really need to buckle down during the week and figure out my exhibit, which I'm still feeling horribly lost on, but it will get done. I have watched three movies this weekend, and they have all been very good. The Picture Bride, Inn of the Sixth Happiness, and The Chorus (Le Choriste). I never seen The Picture Bride before, and it is excellent. It is a slower paced, beautiful portrait of picture brides or mail order prides in the early part of the 20th century in Hawaii. From about 1907-1924, thousands of Japanese women went to Hawaii to marry men they had only seen in pictures and corresponded briefly with through letters. The main character goes to Hawaii to marry and to escape the stigma of her past. The movie comes across very real. It has essential elements, but it allows the plot to form naturally, without forcing the characters. The young woman slowly becomes used to her environment and develops into a strong woman. I highly recommend the movie. It is slower paced, but beautiful, though there is some sensuality.

I watched the Inn of the Sixth Happiness today, which is about Gladys Aylward. It is a very good movie as well, and the scenes of the children crossing the mountains are very moving. I love the character of Ms. Aylward. She was strong and determined and loved God. I would like to know more about her, apart from the movie adaptation. I'd like to read a bio of her when I have the time.

Lastly, I watched my favorite foreign film, The Chorus. It is a French movie set in 1949 about a man who becomes a prefect at a boys reform school. He reaches the boys through music, and it is a wonderful, poignant story. The boys are endearing, and the characters are great. Though there is slight bawdy humor, it is very clean, especially for a French movie.

In an unrelated note, we went on a long hike/trek today. I think we walked about 6 miles out at a state park. It was a lovely day, but chilly, and I didn't prepare as well for it as I should have. Ah well, it was good exercise. I really need to be training in earnest, as the mini marathon is less than 2 months away.

1 comment:

Ancient Aunt said...

Found your list of movies interesting. I think I saw The Inn of the Seventh Happiness years and years ago. Ingrid Bergman? We were watching a movie last weekend, too... and old one from the 50s called "They Were Expendable." Nice to have a war movie without every other word being an expletive! Now we have "Inception", from Netflix, and hope to get to it sometime soon. - Hope you enjoyed St. Paddy's Day today! Love, Your Ancient Aunt