Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Sense of Place

It is so nice to be in a place that is more or less permanent. I know that I am where I need to be for now, and it is a good feeling. It makes it so much easier to be in community with people. I have been thinking about how different this year is so far compared the the last year I was here, 3 years ago. I feel like I am making better connections with people in church, and I am starting to feel more established. I think it's also easier for people to invest in other people's lives when they know that they will be around for awhile, as opposed to moving away in a year or 2. Being in transition is no reason not to make friendships and invest in a community, but it's harder. I do, however, feel a decided lack of gumption this year, which I'm not quite sure why. I felt more motivated to try to be an "adult" and take care of myself, but I lack motivation in some areas.

In other news, I sang in church today for special music. I was helping my friend rehearse for special music last night, and she roped me into singing with her. We decided this at 10 PM last night, but it turned out rather well, I think. We sang How Great Is the Love, alternating verses (she sang the 1st and I sang the 2nd) and singing the chorus together. I harmonized with her (most, not all of the lines), and it meshed well, according to honest, outside sources. I had a good time, but I was nervous, as I have never sung in public like that before. Which is not to say that I have not sung in public, but singing while walking down the street or for my grandpa in the nursing home or in the lobby of my dorm does not necessarily count.

Thursday is Thanksgiving, and then the holidays are upon us! I have a lot that I want to accomplish this holiday season, and I really need to get started on some things. I think that procrastination is one of my besetting sins. It's been with me for a long time, and I really need to work on abolishing it.

My apartment smells like awful incense or stale cigarette smoke that someone attempted to mask. Bleagh.


1 comment:

Ancient Aunt said...

Hi, Brenna. Enjoyed your blog, as always. Glad you are "settling in." Also glad you sang with your friend for church. Uncle Bob and I used to do a lot of that... I miss it sometimes, but it's been so long since I sang anything that I'm not sure my voice still works! Many years ago, before I was married, a group of girls in our neighborhood did some singing in our local country church. That was fun, too. We weren't polished singers, but several of us could sing harmony, and the local folk seemed to like our efforts. - So, keep it up! There are many blessings in music! - On another subject, I've been told that charcoal is good for getting rid of those "bleagh" odors. On a carpet, one would crumble and sprinkle it. In rooms, perhaps a "boquet" in strategic places and changed every few days? No doubt you know someone who can give you better instructions than that! - Your Christmas "Scrooge" sounds like fun. Enjoy!! - Love, Your Ancient Aunt