Saturday, June 13, 2009

Drip Drip Drop Little April Showers (in June)

I hope my last post generated thought and discussion. It was not an endorsement of following natural inclinations (I am very much a fan of self control), but of pointing out that not all natural inclinations are bad and my frustration with people who admit that there is an innate desire for God but deny the validity of that desire.

It has been very rainy lately. It looks like it's going to rain again today. I wish it wouldn't, as I'd like to go on a walk this evening.

I have been watching the A&E miniseries Ivanhoe, and I am a bit startled to find that I kind of like the Normans. I don't know what's come over me, as I've always been firmly on the side of the Anglo Saxons. I think it may be because I have learned more about the Normans with my job, and I am really interested in Norman Sicily. Coins of Norman Sicily are rather interesting, and there was an interesting dynamic there. I ordered a book from another library about it, and I hope to read it this summer. I don't know much about the Normans in England, and I'm still on the side of the Anglo Saxons, but I have a bit of sympathy for the Normans that was never there before. The portrayal in the miniseries and the very poor hair and makeup job on Ivanhoe may have something to do with it. If I re-read the book I'll probably be back on the Anglo Saxon side of things.

It is getting difficult, as I really want to go to Bloomington and start library school, but I still have 2 months to go and little to fill the time between. I'm really hoping to hear something about the reader's theater, but I just don't know.

1 comment:

Invisible Man said...

I know how you feel. As much as I don't want to move this winter, I really need the change. But what do I do until I can move?