Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Bay Windows and Rocking Chairs

I am here in Michigan and moved into my apartment, though I am still unpacking. I changed my driver's license today, so I am officially a Michigan resident. I also registered to vote, which will be kind of weird and means that I actually have to pay attention to Michigan politics and decide who to vote for on my own. Politics and politicians kind of annoy me, but I guess it's good to be informed.

I really like my apartment, as it feels so homey and it's very cute. I love sitting in my rocking chair next to the bay window. I found out, however, that the house that I am living in has a rather poor reputation in town. It has been pretty shady/seedy in the past, but the landlady seems to really be trying to change the reputation and make it a nice, safe place to live. Though it is different than it has been in the past, whenever I tell people where I live, I get worried looks, so I have to do some explaining. :-) Everyone in the house pretty much keeps to themselves, which is all I ask for.

I have a gas stove, and the gas guy came out today. I've been told that I will end up liking gas better than electric, but right now, it makes me nervous. Baking is going to be a bit tricky, as there are no measurements on the dial for the stove. The gas guy suggested getting an oven thermometer and then marking the dial for the different temperatures. That will be a bit of a hassle, but I think that's what I'll have to do.

It's gorgeous today. We've had some rain and thunderstorms, but beautiful weather in between. Because it's north, my current location is behind b-town in regards to plants and such, so I've had lilacs in my house, and they smell wonderful! Nature's perfume.

Not much to report. Things are going well, and I just need to keep plugging away at unpacking everything. I am going to have to go to the laundromat today. :-/ Not really looking forward to that.

My books are unpacked! Except for my comic books and cookbooks, I have enough shelf space. I would like a small shelf in the kitchen for my cookbooks, and I also would like a separate bookcase for my comic books (Peanuts, BC, Dennis the Menace, etc.). But, those can wait. I am hoping to go garage saling and maybe auctioning this summer. Extra kitchen storage and counter/table space is the most immediate need right now, as I essentially have no counter space in my kitchen.

Life is life right now. Not much exciting, just trying to get unpacked and adjust to life in the dale.

Blessings!

No comments: