Sunday, July 31, 2011

Spiritual Marathoners

The 2 pastors are in Guatemala on a missions trip, so the pastor's son preached today. He is most definitely part of the family. He was a bit (read a lot) crazy and a lot like his dad. :-) Which isn't a bad thing, as the sermons at my church are wonderful. He preached on the last 8 verses of Romans 8, which are wonderful verses, btw. And he used a good running analogy. It's not really a new one, but it struck me today, especially as I am trying to get back in shape for a race in 2 weeks and have recently run a 1/2 marathon. But, the spiritual life is like training for a marathon. It is hard, and not really fun, but it is necessary and definitely worth it, because if you don't train, then you will not be prepared for the race. I like thinking of myself as a spiritual marathoner. Also, Sunday school was very good and convicting, not in a "strike you down" sense, but a subtle conviction. We talked about inadequacy, and I realized that there are things that I need to give to God and allow Him to work. I generally just deal with things on my own, and that is not good.

I hung out with a friend yesterday and we went shopping. I blew through my furnishing and clothing budget, but I got some good things, including a nice "pub" table with 2 stools. The table has a white tile top, and it is counter height, which is something I really need, as I have virtually no counter space. If I'm going to cook, I need more counter space, and the table is perfect. The furniture store guy I bought it from was really weird and somewhat inappropriate/creepy, but he seemed harmless.

I also finally got a bigger harness for my cat. If she'll let me get it on right, I might try to take her out this evening. If she knew that the harness meant going out, I think she'd cooperate a bit more. She's been a bit ornery lately, and I think she might be a little bored.

I got a part in 12 Angry Jurors. I am juror #6. It is the hardest part in the play, as the character has very few lines and little to no personality. I think I am going to crochet granny squares to keep me in the play and involved. It will be a challenge, but I am looking forward to it.

My weeks are getting busier, what with play rehearsals and the approach of school. I will really need to get my act together and prepare for everything that's going on with work during August. It will be a busy month. I did finish all of the July to dos, which I'm very glad about. Now, onto August!

No comments: