Thursday, October 4, 2007

Saint Benedict

"When evil thoughts come into one's heart, to dash them against Christ immediately."
~From Saint Benedict's Rule For Monasteries

I have been reading Saint Benedict's rule and Pope Gregory's Life of Saint Benedict for my class on the early middle ages, and it is really interesting. There is much about it that I disagree with, but there are also some thought-provoking ideas. The quote above is the quote that stuck out to me the most. I had never thought of "dashing" my thoughts against Christ. It is such an interesting use of words. Throwing your bad thoughts upon Christ. Allowing the evil in your heart to shatter on Him and His power. The idea that you can actually throw away your bad thoughts.

Though I disagree with the emphasis on works and working to get into the kingdom of Heaven and the micro-managing of daily life, the emphasis on humility and a Christ-like attitude is very good. It's a reminder that I too should be striving against my flesh. That I too am prideful. Maybe silence isn't a bad thing. I should spend more time in prayer. I should spend more time in reading the Bible and other edifying works. There is spiritual warfare. Satan does work in the world. The early Medieval Christian mindset was so different. I don't agree with a lot of what they believed, but they did have some valid points. We should live for God. We should not be so attached to the world. That doesn't mean pulling ourselves out of the world, but we put too much of an emphasis on it.

1 comment:

Jacob said...

I took Early Middle Ages with Dr. Moye my junior year. It was an interesting class.
The Benedictine Rule is interesting. I'm somewhat wary of them, though, because they encourage a life spent "away" from real life. I would much rather have Christians engaging the culture than "playing it safe" behind the walls of monasticism. So yeah. That's what I think of monks!