Thursday, November 29, 2007

Green

Have you noticed that recently everything is all about "green." It's no longer "save the planet," but "be green." Buy energy saving lightbulbs. Each organic food. Drive a hybrid car. Reduce your carbon foot-print. And it has even spawned epithets such as "eco-terrorist." Recently, I read an article about women who have decided not to have children because it is better for the environment. One lady even aborted her child to protect aforesaid environment. (It's absolutely horrible how deluded their thinking is.) Here is the link. Sorry, I don't know how to do spiffy, nice looking, hidden link things. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=495495&in_page_id=1879 I suggest reading the comments too. They give some perspective.

Later, I looked at my water bottle, and it said that the new design was eco-friendly because it uses 30% less plastic, and that is good for the environment. That irritated me. I feel bombarded. Be green, be green, all because of GLOBAL WARMING. Which, incidentally, I do not really believe in. I think that all of this be green and save the environment stuff is based on several false assumptions and faulty presuppositions. Two of which are overpopulation and global warming. First of all, the earth is not overpopulated. In fact, several countries are having population problems because people are not having enough children to even maintain the current population. Some places are giving people incentives to have children. Second, 30 years ago, it was global cooling, and we were going to have a second ice age. Now, it's global warming, and we are all going to drown because the ice caps are melting. I tend to believe that the earth goes through different phases of hot and cold over the years.

Now, before I am labeled an eco-terrorist, I want to let you know that I believe in being a good steward of the Lord's creation. I do not think that people should litter or pollute our water systems or things of that sort. And, I recycled an ink cartridge and enjoyed it! Though I think it might have been the act of putting it in the nifty sleeve and sending off a package without having to pay postage, but it was an exciting experience nonetheless. I love fresh produce and local meat. Give me open spaces and fresh air any day. I am not a fan of cities and suburbs and not being able to see the stars at night because of the glare of the lights. I think cows are cute and farmers are the salt of the earth. But I am sick of hearing celebrities and everyone else tell me to be green.

No comments: