Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Watching Worms

The Dalai Lama was on campus today. There was a long line of people when I went to my internship today, and I wondered why they were there. I also wondered when the security person asked everyone to empty their stuff and be ready when they reached the front, but it makes sense. It was really cool seeing all the monks around. I think their red robes are very pretty.

In the movie Grumpier Old Men, there is a scene where Walter Matthau's character is trying to woo Sophia Loren's character, and he tells her that her restaurant is on a really good nightcrawler bed or area. He says that the worms come out at night, so they go out looking for worms. The worm in the scene is really fake, so I figured that they just made that up. After last night, however, I think there may be some truth to the idea that worms come out at night. I was sitting on a bench outside the laundry room, just being, and I noticed long, glisteny things moving. There were a lot of worms out, and they were moving the whirly seed pods that were on the ground. It was pretty cool watching them move and hearing them rustle. So many times we miss that. Everyone is so busy, so plugged in. We never just sit, just be. And that is important. Sit down. Listen to the worms.

2 comments:

Ancient Aunt said...

Yes, nightcrawlers do come out at night... they also leave little lumps all over the yard, but moving earth is one of their things. - Lovely moments come on the fly, too. I glanced out the window the other morning just in time to see a bluebird land on one of the lights on our deck. He stayed just long enough for me to see the beautiful colors and patterns of his feathers, then was gone again. Another blessing for the day! - And may your day be blessed!

Tessa said...

Whoa, the Dalai Lama! I wonder if he was speaking about China-Tibetan relations. That would be really interesting.