Friday, June 4, 2010

Hodge Podge and Misc.

I have a huge homework assignment due this week, but I have been putting it off. I really need to start it soon, as it will be impossible to complete the night before. Very long and mind numbing.

I am going shopping with a friend, and I'm excited about it. It will be so good to get out and chat. And shop. :-)

I was somewhat distressed this morning when I realized that I had miscalculated the days of the RBMS pre-conference. I thought the last day was Thursday, but it's actually Friday. But, my hotel, plane ticket, and work are already set, so I will just have to leave early. Thank goodness I have a later flight coming back on Thursday. Also, I don't think I will miss much. Mainly some extra networking.

I am hooked on the 44 Scotland Street series by Alexander McCall Smith. I had heard that he was a good author, and he has proved it to me. I just finished 44 Scotland Street, the first book in the series, and it was very good. The book is character driven, and the characters are so real. And human. It's a good author who gets you to make verbal exclamations at the characters. Bruce and Irene really get on my nerves, but you can't hate them. Though I do hate how over-bearing Irene is. Poor Bertie. I have to get my hands on the next books in the series. This does not bode well for homework.

I also watched a Korean movie last night. I enjoyed it, and I think I'm going to check out more of the movies/TV series in the Asian section of the library. The movie was called My Little Bride, and it had a really weird beginning premise, but after you got past that, it was really cute and sweet. I also wonder if Asian films do not allow on-screen kissing. I know very little about Asian culture and film, but there was no on screen kiss. At one point, the actors' lips were as close as possible without actually touching, but the "kiss" was obscured and thus only implied. It could just be this particular movie, and not the film industry as a whole, but I found it cute and kind of refreshing. There was inuendo, but the film had a more innocent, different feel than an American film.

1 comment:

Tessa said...

My mom loves Alexander McCall Smith! I get her one of his books almost every Christmas and birthday