Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Rawness and Big Questions

I just finished reading The True Story of Hansel and Gretel. It's a retelling of the Hansel and Gretel fairy tale set in WWII Poland. It was very good, but very raw. It is accurate with what I know of Poland during that time, as well as what I know of the Nazis. The author showed both the children and the parents story, which was really cool. The father and stepmother have to abandon the children when they are being chased by the Nazis, and the parents join the partisans in the forest. I haven't read a book in awhile. I'll start one but then not be able to get into it, or I'll read it very slowly. But, I was able to really get into this one. It was very well written, and I am interested in learning about what happened in Poland during WWII. Poland really got the brunt of the Nazis, and they knew that their "saviors," the Russians, weren't much better. I recommend the book, but it is very raw and vivid with disturbing content. It's war and the author portrays that.

This book also made me think of some of the bigger, deeper questions. I've been wondering lately how God can do it all. I know that He is much bigger than I and that I cannot fathom Him, but it's just so big. How can he know everyone. And not just know everyone, but know them intimately and care about their issues and work with them. And make us feel that we have His attention. When I talk with God, it's just me and God, but I know He's taking care of millions of people at the same time. I don't understand. But that's ok. I'll hopefully understand more fully someday.

In a lighter note, I watched The Secret of Moonacre tonight. It's a British film, and I expected it to be cheesy and funny, but it was rather well done. It's kind of a Beauty and the Beast story, and the main character was beautiful, and the costume design stunning, except for the bad guys, one of whom especially looked like the guy from A Clockwork Orange. He also wore a collar studded with pheasant feathers. It also has Ioan Gruffudd in it, which was funny. I'm not a big fan of his, but it made me think of my friends who really like him. I'm more partial to Jamie Bamber, myself, though he was sadly not in the film.

1 comment:

Tessa said...

I haven't heard of that book, but it sounds really interesting! I'll have to keep it in mind.