Monday, March 31, 2008

Coffee shops and plastic drops

One way that I have changed during college is coffee shops. I really like coffee shops and coffee shop coffee. Lattes, chai, white chocolate mochas. I went to a coffee shop in Charleston today to grade tests. I had the back room completely to myself, and the booth/bench that I chose was next to a bamboo wall hanging with a print of the Mona Lisa on it. It assaulted my sensibilities. I hope that by now I can somewhat comprehend the good, the true, and the beautiful, and that fell in the category of the tacky, the false, and the ugly. It was the best spot, though. I really liked the back room. The noises from the front, the music and talking and clanking of dishes and steaming of drinks added a nice background to the bubbling of the fish tank and quiet of the room. Yellow lights of ambiance from the table lamps. Burlap bags draped across the ceiling. The dripping of water into plastic buckets. It was raining, and the sound of the rain on the roof. And then it started leaking. In new places. When I had about three tests left in the batch, a new leak started at the end of my bench. It was all very cozy and quite funny. The leaks added character.

Also, a lady asked if my dress (the green one with white flowers on it) was vintage. I told her it was. She asked if I had been to her store. I said that I had not, and she said that I would like it because it has a lot of vintage. She also said that the dress looked good on me. Everyone in my family hates the dress though. John most of all. He forbade me to wear it to his game because all his friends were going to be there. Mom and Dad both agreed that there are worse things I could wear, but that the dress is ugly. I like it. It is comfortable. And it makes a statement. It is hard to wear a dress that color of green and not stand out.

I did not think that I would need my camera cord over break, but of course, I have pics that I would like to post. Coffee shop pics. There is a new Starbucks in Charleston, but I do not think that I will go there. Less character, higher prices, too comercial.

No comments: