Monday, November 10, 2008

I'm Back

Well, I'm back from DC. I had a good trip and survived my first (and second) flight. Because I am oh so subtle, the girl next to me could tell that I was nervous and she was nice, though really tired from campaigning. Flying is like a bus ride, only not on the ground. I liked the return flight better. It was less crowded and I was less nervous. It was really good to see my friends again. I wish that I had more time to spend with them, but our grown up jobs get in the way. :-) Things are a lot different. It's hard to believe that they live in DC. It was kind of hard for me to believe I was in DC. One thing about plane rides is that you are simply plopped into a new area without having the assimilating factor of seeing the scenery flash by and change as you enter the new place. Driving gives more of a sense of arrival and belonging and understanding the new area, I think. We were able to eat at good restaurants in the area, however. I had Vietnamese, Italian, and American. The Italian had good atmosphere, we ate outside, but I think I enjoyed the cheeseburger and fries best. :-) The Italian bread was really good though. The show went well too, which was good. I enjoy talking about the college and my job, so that was good. The hotel was really big. I'd never stayed in such a large hotel. There was a lot of staff. The first night I was kind of pacing, looking for a friend and one of the workers kind of yelled at me. I guess I was making him and the guests nervous? Anyway, I think he thought I was a high schooler running around. Oh the joys of looking young. Sigh. That night I was awoken by my neighbors who came in at 1 AM loud and possibly sloshed. I was not impressed. Then, at 7 AM, I heard knocking and "Room Service." I did not order room service. I thought about it, but I did not actually make the call. So, I got up and through the door told him that I did not order room service. This went on for a bit, and I even asked what it was, thinking I might have ordered in my sleep or something. Nope. I then informed him I was not a Mr. and went back to bed. The rest of the conference, however, went much better. My floor was invaded by lawyers, however. A law school association. So I had a bunch of lost wolves running around in suits. ;-) I also got to go to the zoo, which was really close and FREE! Yay! So, all the pictures I have are of the zoo. I am really bad at taking pictures. I have a bunch of pics of flamingos, otters, and a multi colored squirrel, but no pics of friends. I am really bad at that. Sigh. I have yet to upload. I'll try to get a pic of my glasses soon. Sorry for the suspense. I can't wait to see everyone in February. And yes, I am coming home for Thanksgiving.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha I didn't realize until after I left DC that most zoos AREN'T free ;)

~Justin&Meg~ said...

Good to hear you had a fun (and safe) time. And you even survived the flights. Yay! Hope to see you in a few~

meg

George and Krista said...

Hey~ Glad you made it safe and sound. Now next time, it won't be so scary :) Hope to see you in a few weeks.

K~