Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Save the History!

I'm home for Thanksgiving, and it feels weird to be here without a lot of stress and work that needs to be done. I always had homework and books that I had to bring home with me, research papers to work on, etc, but I don't have that this year, and it feels...different.

I don't really pay attention to the news or things like that, but I was looking at the newspaper today, and our governor, "Rod," is closing down historical sites and parks due to the budget. I am mad! Among those closing is a site in my area. They are also closing several forts, an Indian museum, and places in Cahokia and Vandalia. (not Cahokia Mounds, though) These are good and pertinent aspects of Illinois history, and he is just going to cut funding and shut them down. Now, I am in favor of privately owned sites, but I realize that is not always possible, and since they are already state funded, it is not fair, especially at this time, to cut funding. Isn't there other pork that could be cut? Some places have raised the funds, but with the economic situation, I think it would be harder to raise funds for a historic site. With things as they are, I think it more likely to give to places that provide aid for those in need over a historic site. Is he punishing the downstate areas because we are not a democratic bastion? Can't he get rid of his excess jets? No one needs 3-4 private jets to get from Chicago to Springfield. No one. Our state is such a mess.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

They´re closing Lincoln Log?? That makes me super sad.

I know what you mean about Thanksgiving feeling strange :) We are in the midst of final exams, and Thanksgiving (of course!) isn´t a holiday in Chile. I am taking off work anyway ;)

Invisible Man said...

In Michigan, the state government is cutting their snow removal and salting. It is going to be a LONG winter I think. If you have to go on anything but a "main" road during a long snowfall, expect to deal with ice, snow and the like.

I could think of a lot of other things that I'd prefer the government cut first. Oh well.