Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Bookmobile Lady

I think I'd like to drive a bookmobile. I don't think I'd like the driving, but it would be really cool to work on one. However, I would not want to be on an urban bookmobile. More like a very rural bookmobile route between western towns that are too small and remote to have a library. I don't know if those even exist. I'm so all over the place when it comes to my vocation. I know in general what I want to be, but I'm not sure on the specifics. I was really impressed by the rare books/special collections at IU. When I talked with the assistant director, he wanted to make sure that I knew that most big institutions hiring special collections librarians want them to have 2 Master's degrees and a reading knowledge of French, German, and Latin. It was at that point that I think I bugged my eyes. I only know Spanish. We talked more though, and since I am interested in smaller institutions, I may have better luck. Also, I like the South, which is a bonus. He said that most graduates from the North and Midwest are not willing to relocate to the South. Which is a pity, as I think Southern culture is beautiful.

I realized that no matter where I end up going, grad school is going to be hard and different. It will be so different from what I'm used to. I won't have any more liberal arts classes, and the views and culture at a large state school is so different from where I went to school. I'm going to be the weirdo again. But I should be used to that. :-)

3 comments:

Angy said...

So, are you of the opinion that you weren't a weirdo in college?

:P

p.s. I miss the Brenna bug-eyed look. Sigh.

Rachel said...

Remember too that you're going to LIBRARY school. The "weirdo" bar is in a bit of a different place. And even if the large school as a whole institution may not support all your values, you should still be able to find smaller groups that do. I know it's a transition, but you won't be doing it alone :)

Invisible Man said...

We are all "odd" in our own ways. I think it is one of the most beautiful aspects of humanity. God makes each and every one of us, each unique from everyone else. How amazing is that!? The billions of people who have lived. Each different genetically, mentally, spiritually and physically from everyone else.

Ok...end random thought.