Wednesday, February 18, 2009

In Which I Review a Book. About Libraries.

I just finished reading a book called The Library Diaries. It was recently published, and there is some controversy surrounding it. I think the lady who wrote it lost her job, and I had heard negative reviews, but I wanted to check it out for myself. It's kind of an expose` of public libraries, and after reading it, I know why the author lost her job, and personally, she kind of deserved it. Though I agree with some of her points, this book was not written in the best taste. It is very negative and critical. To do this type of book well, it must include both positive and negative stories and it must have a good dose of humor. There is very little uplifting or positive about the book, and the humor and style it does have is not enough to counter the negative tone. Also, I really have issue with some of her points. Especially the epilogue which is simply a call for eugenics. I agree that it is a travesty to see children who are not cared for or loved, and I am definitely against the entitlement society that we have created, but I will NOT endorse deciding who can and cannot procreate. That is a dangerous, dangerous slope to tread upon. She also included a chapter against hunting and complained about "turbo Christians." And, she doesn't like the poor, but she also doesn't like the rich. She simply didn't appreciate the small Midwestern culture that was in. In fact, she seemed unable or unwilling to appreciate it. Though her book had some truth, the manner in which it was presented was off-putting and a bit tactless on her part.

1 comment:

Emily J said...

I am so confused (and intrigued)...
Based on what you said, how is this book in any way related to libraries??