Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Blips on the Radar

'ello ello. It has just started to sink in, starting yesterday, that I only have a week and a half and then I am leaving. As in, not coming back. It's been hard at work because I realize I may not have time to do certain things, wait for incoming books, start new projects. It's been a good year and a hard year in some respects, but I am attached to this place (I knew I would be), a little more and a little less than I thought I would be. I am looking forward to being in the same city as friends again. I have missed that.

I am applying for jobs--any that I am possibly qualified for. Trying to learn the art of cover letters. I'm getting a little nervous about it, but I know it will all work out.

I enquired about a cool voluntee opportunity with the Red Cross when I move. They have a huge book fair fundraiser, and they would like people interested in rare books to research books they get and write up descriptions for them. This is essentially what I've been doing all this past year, but with books. Research is like opening a present. You can kind of guess what is in the package, but you don't know how cool (or uncool) the item is inside until you tear off the wrapping paper. Same with a book or coin. You can guess at the history behind it, but you don't know until you search.

Ok, I promised an update about the field trips last Thursday. We visited two libraries, one of which was new and "green" and the other, which had an automatic retrieval system. The automatic retrieval system was really interesting. It was a crane that ran on a track and located and pulled out a bin corresponding to the book or periodical requested. It was really cool, but I'm not a big fan, as it eliminates browsing. It would be good for back issues of periodicals and other materials that most people don't browse through anyway.

Blessings.

2 comments:

Thalasas Nymphe said...

I like the research analogy!

Invisible Man said...

That crane sounds awesome! ....I'm such a nerd...