Sunday, July 12, 2009

How Great the Father's Love For Us

There is a bike race going on today, and it runs on the road outside my house, so I have to be careful not to run over bikers or spectators.

I cannot sing How Great the Father's Love For Us without crying. It is what I consider to be a contemporary hymn. The theology and lyrics are really good, and the tune is similar to hymn melodies. I realized this morning that it is difficult for me to sing it without emotion because it emphasizes Jesus' sacrifice for my sins. I benefited from someone else's pain. My sin kept Him on that cross. My unbelief. My scoffing. Christian humility comes from that: we are saved and forgiven because Jesus was willing to be hurt and suffer and die for us. We benefited from His pain, and it is most certainly by nothing good we have done that we can glory. It is all to the glory of God, the great three in one. He did it all, and everything we can do, everything we can give is the very least He deserves.

1 comment:

Ancient Aunt said...

I'm not familiar with that hymn, but it sounds like a nice one. I'm sure you're familiar with the quotation: "Bach gave us God's Word. Mozart gave us God's Laughter. Beethoven gave us God's Fire. God gave us Music that we might pray without words." Amen!