Saturday, July 18, 2009

The World is Filled With the Grandeur of God

Gerard Manley Hopkins (quote above, I highly recommend reading the whole poem)

I visited A squared this weekend with two friends, one of whom lives there. Her house is so cute! It is an older house with a lot of character. Those are the best houses. :-) The Art Fair is in town, so we looked at the different artists' wares. It is just blocks and blocks of paintings, pictures, pottery, glass work, sculptures, jewelry, etc. I was in raptures. To be surrounded by all the beauty and creativity. I wished that I had the money to spend and a house to put it in. It was all beautiful, but two booths really stuck out to me. One had large glass daffodil type flowers that could either be displayed on the wall or stand up as a sculpture. I have a picture of me smelling the flower, but am unable to post it, as internet is still down at the house. :-( The artists were really nice too. They were younger and more energetic, and they didn't mind that we took a picture. Some of the artists were kind of grumpy or curmudgeonly, which seemed weird. Aren't people artists because it is their passion and they love beauty and want to share this passion and beauty with others? It should not be a commercial matter, though I understand that to make a living one must sell pieces. The other booth I liked almost brought me to tears. I had to leave so I didn't embarrass myself in front of the artist. He had 3 photographs with views looking out from a dock with the water and the sun gleaming through the clouds. It looked like God's grandeur. It touched me beyond words. I think that's what good art, truly good art does.

We also went to a sleepover last night, and it was a lot of fun. The hostess was very gracious to allow us to come, even though we had never met before. We talked and watched Confessions of a Shopaholic, which is very cute. I also realized, though not necessarily for the first time, that I am a baseball nerd. I hope I didn't bore the other girls. :-)

I am playing during the offering at church tomorrow. So I need to remember and not sleep through the first service. :-)

Also, I would like to give a word of warning in regards to laundry. I found out the hard way that if you leave your wet clothes in the washer too long, they will get bright purple mildew stains on them. At least mine did. Not all the clothes got them, but some of my favorite pieces did. Of course. I was on the phone with my brother when I discovered this and started freaking out. Poor guy.

A lot has happened this week, but this is already a long post. I think I'll postpone the stories from the Thursday field trip. Stay tuned. :-)

1 comment:

Kara said...

I like that you are a baseball nerd. I felt so dumb. I didn't realize DeRosa isn't a Cubs anymore. Last night I was so confused when he wasn't there.

The game was fun, BUT there's no place on earth like Wrigley Field.