Thursday, June 26, 2008

Double Dactyl

This is one of my favorite poems as it was so much fun to write and I really like the form. It's rollicking. The lines are dactyls, which mean feet of 3 syllables with the first stressed and the second and third unstressed. Each line has two feet, (six syllables). It also requires the first line to start with nonsense words and one line has to consist of one six syllable word. Great fun. If you write in dactyls you start to think in dactyls. Try it sometime.

Hoitety-Toitety

Grandmother Mergatrude

Crams in her noggin the

False information.


Cavorting anonymous

Antiestablishment

Loonies in lingerie

Shock her the most.


(If you want the complete rules for the form, look it up)

1 comment:

Angy said...

Are you stealing my theme?!

I'm confused. False information is 5 syllables, and Cavorting anonymous is 7. Also, were there supposed to be syllables in the <--!> part?

Ach. I don't understand.

It's a cute poem, though.