Wednesday, September 10, 2008

God is Not a Warm Fuzzy

Modern Christianity likes to describe God as loving, good shepherd, kind father, meek and mild, etc. God is love. Yes, He is, but so often Christianity is painted as a warm fuzzy, a good feeling, an intimate walk with God who is always there and never runs out of love and mercy. And this is all true, but it is only half, and behind these truths is the implication that you will always feel happiness and joy, you will always feel close to God. If you think about the reactions of people who encountered God in the Bible, however, these are not the emotions evoked. Some people fell down dead. Awe. Fear and trembling. "I am undone." Encountering God is a scary thing. When I am getting closer to God, I don't necessarily feel better. This goes counter to what we often think. We throw around phrases like "refiner's fire" and "purify." These are painful words. When God works, He works against our sinful nature, and that does not feel good. Sometimes it's through circumstances and sometimes it's through our relationship with Him. Sometimes God is abrasive. Like sand paper. Or like fire, burning away the impurities. I think (and hope) that I am coming to a better understanding of how God has and is working in my life. What He does for me, and against my sinful nature. It's hard. But He also gives good times. He does give some warm fuzzies. The times when you are filled with praise and joy. And it is good. But it is not always so, and we should not expect this. Just because we don't have what we consider to be the appropriate feeling doesn't mean that God isn't there and that He isn't working. Fear and trembling. Awe. Frustration. They are powerful emotions and He can use them just as well as joy, excitement, and contentment. Fear and tremble at His might. Be frustrated with your sin and incapacity to ever be good enough.

One of the keys to the Christian faith is dealing with and realizing the reality that we will Never be good enough. It's a part of human nature to want to do things for God, to earn what He's given us, but we can't. We should want to serve Him. That is very important and shows that our faith is alive and real, but it will never be good enough. I cannot earn my way to heaven. I must simply bow at His feet, pleading for the blood of Jesus to drench my sins.

1 comment:

Invisible Man said...

I have to admit that I have been coming to understand this idea so much as of late.

In the past month I've realized how God had and is working in my life over a problem. I think he had been telling me the "solution" for a while but it was not what I wanted to hear. It was hard and difficult. I wanted an easy solution. Not something I would struggle with my entire life.

But, as you say, "we will never be good enough". It is so very true and I know that I will always be working on this part of my life (with God's help of course!).