Saturday, March 7, 2009

White Monkey

I made white monkey for lunch today. I got the recipe from a book called Old Squire's Farm, which is a collection of stories about cousins growing up on their grandparents' farm after the Civil War. The stories are really good, and one of the stories had this recipe at the end. It is an old recipe, so instruction include warming the milk over a fire. :-) It is a bit like Welsh rarebit, I think, though I have never had Welsh rarebit. It's surprisingly filling, and would make a good breakfast food, though I don't discriminate. "Breakfast" food is good any time of the day.
Here's the recipe:
Put over the fire one pint of new milk in a double boiler. As soon as the milk is warm, stir in one teaspoonful of flour mixed with two tablespoonfuls of cold water. As the milk gets hotter, add slowly, so as to dissolve it, two ounces of cheese, grated or chipped fine. Then add one ounce of butter, a teaspoonful of salt, a dash of cayenne pepper, and one egg, well beaten and mixed with two tablespoonfuls of cold milk or water. Let the mixture simmer five minutes, then serve hot on wheat-bread or brown-bread toast, well browned and buttered.

That is the exact wording, but it is not hard to modernize. It is liquidy, so be careful when pouring it on a plate.

I tried to go back to work on Friday, but I had to take off the afternoon. I'm feeling better today, so hopefully I'll be fine come Monday.

It definitely feels like spring is coming. Yay! I ran some errands this morning and I could get away without a coat, which was so nice. :-) I'm getting a little stir crazy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aw yay for spring! it's so interesting here because the trees are really distinct in their blooming-times. some still look pretty dead while others are showing off beautiful buds