Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Backwards and Forwards and Upsidedownsideways

I had a wonderful Easter weekend with my family, but it was way too short. I wish I had more time with them. I was bummed about coming back, but the drive back was better than I thought it would be; I wasn't depressed like I thought I'd be. My grandparents have season tickets to travelogues hosted by the Rotary Club, and they were showing one on Saturday. Grandpa asked me if I wanted to go, and I almost said no, but it was on Scotland, and since I want to go there sometime, I figured it would be good to learn a little about the land. So, my dad, brother, and I went with my grandparents. I am almost positive that my dad, brother, and I were the three youngest people there, and my brother and I were the youngest people there by fifty years, excluding my dad and one other couple who might have been around my parents' age. I thought it would be a video showing the landscape and cities of Scotland with a voice over narrator. However, they start introducing someone, and I wasn't sure what was going on. My brother leans over and says "It's going to be slides." At this point, with a two hour production ahead of me, I thought "What have I got myself into?" Thankfully, it was not slides. Instead, they showed footage from a couple's travels in Scotland and France with a live narrator, so he read the narration from a podium off screen. Being a travelogue, it was very tame, but it was ok. I'm so glad it wasn't slides. :-)

Earlier on Saturday, my grandpa, dad, brother, and I went to Gander Mountain and Barnes and Nobles. I hadn't been to Barnes and Nobles in a long time, and I got three books: My Antonia by Willa Cather, Firmin by Sam Savage, and Who Will Write Our History: Rediscovering a Hidden Archive from the Warsaw Ghetto by Samuel D. Kassow. The last book I simply had to buy because when I saw it, I started tearing up. In Barnes and Nobles. In front of my dad and grandpa. It was kind of embarrassing. I did a history fair project on the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising my senior year of high school, and that event in history means a lot to me. Firmin is the book I'm really excited about though. It's a fictional story, and the main character is a rat. I'm not exactly sure what it's about, but he lives in the basement of a bookstore, and one of the blurbs on the back says "Delicious. Firmin is a book that is written for Readers, that is, for people who have the book passion and for whom books are as real as anything else in life. Realer, perhaps." Donna Leon. Yeah, that kind of describes me. :-)

I don't feel like doing anything that I should do. Drat.

3 comments:

Invisible Man said...

Ohhhh, a trip to a bookstore. That sounds like something I really need to do. It has been a while since I've had a good novel to dig into before going to sleep.

I hope you enjoy the books! :)

Thalasas Nymphe said...

I used to go to travelogues with slides! They were kind of fun...but I was homeschooled, so my idea of fun might have been warped.

Kara said...

I never feel like doing anything I should do.