Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sing We of Him Who is Coming to Reign

I may have found my new church. At least, I plan on going back next week. Trying to find a new church can be very painful. I miss my old church so much! The sermon was good. He's no Pastor Keith, but he was good. I hadn't planned on taking notes, but there were some good points that I wanted to record, so that is a good sign. Now I understand where the term "noteworthy" comes from. :-) Also, the pastor earned points from me for alluding to the Rime of the Ancient Mariner. He talked about sin as a hindrance like an albatross around the neck. I don't know if anyone else got it, but I did. He probably didn't notice, but it elicited a grin from me. :-) Also, one of the Sunday school groups is called the Cracked Pots, which has to be one of the best names for a Sunday school group ever.

In all seriousness, however, I was impressed with how they emphasized Jesus. The sermon was on Hebrews 12:1-13, and I found it interesting when the pastor pointed out that we are to focus not on the finish line, but on Jesus. Which is true. Being in the presence of Jesus is the most important thing. Where Jesus is, 'tis heaven there. Also, the singing was mostly hymns and older choruses, which made me happy. It is a bigger church, but they seem to have a very good blend of sound doctrine and "traditional" beliefs with an emphasis on outreach and being "relevant," which I appreciate, as I do not really care for ultra contemporary, we need to be with the culture attitudes. (Though I am not discrediting that approach, as it has some merits as well.)

I would appreciate prayers as I seek the Lord's will and try to fit into a new community of believers.

3 comments:

Ancient Aunt said...

Sounds like you've made a good start at finding a faith community. Are the Cracked Pots an allusion to the story in which the cracked pot leaks the water that allows flowers to grow along the path for everyone to enjoy?

BH said...

I'm not sure. It might be. I love the word play, though. :-)

The Sisson Clan said...

Glad to hear such good news. Sounds like you are well on your way to being settled.