Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Not in Kansas Any More

I had my first day of classes yesterday. Mondays are crazy for me, as I have class at 8 AM and class at 5:45 PM with 5 hours of work in the middle. Oh well, I don't have class on Tuesdays, which means I can sleep in and catch up on studying. My collection development class looks like it's going to be good, especially as we'll have several guest speakers and some field trips. Yay! It is an adjustment for me, however, as the classes are so different from my undergrad. I have to realize that I'm here to get a degree and a job, not necessarily to learn wonderful amazing things. The classes are reminiscent of my education classes. And, the approach to academics is different. I can feel it, even with the undergrads, I don't think they expect as much from the students here. And that's kind of sad. Though I'm pretty sure they expect more from the grad students, especially in other, more liberal arts programs. I was spoiled/blessed for 4 years at the dale, though it will be nice not to have the same amount of academic pressure on me, especially with all the hours I have to work.

I would still appreciate prayers for finding and fitting in with a church body here. I am still going to go to the church I wrote about previously, but it's kind of hard. I went to the Cracked Pots and we talked about Romans 9! Wow. I'm glad they don't shy away from the hard stuff, but that was a little intense, though they focused on God's sovereignty and not on the debate between free will and predestination.

4 comments:

jessica said...

Oh no, practical learning! At least it's a nice break from the stress (papers) of undergrad.

Ancient Aunt said...

Ah yes... the challenges of learning a new environment! - Don't be afraid to visit several churches. I had a class once that required visiting 3 different churches, writing a paper, visiting 3 more, etc. Learned a lot, including appreciation for disciplines other than my own. God will guide.

Anonymous said...

it's interesting to see your perspective on the more "typical" grad program. UD is a lot like HC so it wasn't too bad of a transition. good luck! :)

Invisible Man said...

Glad they didn't focus on the debate.

Although it is interesting, it can be a rather dividing topic. I can remember very heated debates during my high school year.