Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Community

I have realized that this is the first place I have lived that has not had a strong sense of community, and I think that is one of the hardest parts of living here. I am surrounded by peers, but I do not feel like I have many connections to the community as a whole or to people who are rooted in this community. Being a large university town, it has a more temporary feel, and many people come here from a variety of places. Some stay and others move on, but it is a different feeling and a different environment. It feels much more like you're on your own. There aren't a whole lot of people looking out for you. And it's harder at church because the church I go to is very large, and I don't know very many people outside my friends and Sunday school group. I am going to try to get more involved during break, and I may look for a different Sunday school group that is a bit more integrated. That is one thing that I don't really like about the modern church. It's so segregated. Especially in large churches. You only meet with peers and it can be kind of isolating. I really like meeting people in my same situation and my same age group, but I miss the connections I had last year. I miss HFMC's Sunday school so much! The Lord met me there so many times and I learned a lot from the dear people there. I was the youngest one by far, but it didn't matter. I need to visit.

2 comments:

Kara said...

I think HFMC is a special church no matter where you go.

Anonymous said...

I get that feeling at UD too, and I think that's how grad school is in general. the undergrads have their groups, but it's hard to really become attached. I'm looking forward to moving somewhere and getting more involved with a particular church. there's a lot of different Catholic churches, so I have a lot more options than I did in Hillsdale