Monday, April 26, 2010

Abba Father

As Christians, we often say that we have a relationship with God. The phrase "It's a relationship, not a religion" is rather popular, and most Christians would say that we can have a more intimate, relational connection with God. It is very easy to toss around this term, "relationship," but our actions do not indicate that we have a relationship with Him. We often admit that we need to "spend more time with God," but what does that look like? I have been thinking about these things recently, and I have started to view my spiritual life differently, and I am going to try some new things.

The Bible often refers to us as the Bride of Christ, and when nuns take orders, they are "wedded" to Christ. In regards to my own spiritual life, I have realized that if I had a boyfriend, I would be thinking about him all the time and going out with him, spending time with him. It is very easy, with God, however, so say a short prayer, read an obligatory Bible chapter or verse, and go on my way. It is not sufficient. So, I'm trying to rework my thinking and think of my time with God as "dates." Time set aside where I go walking or stay inside, etc. but it is time with God. And I've found that using this "mental model" or this idea helps me to visualize my time with God. Because I cannot see Him, it is hard sometimes to differentiate my time with Him. And, I know that He is always there and always with me, but it is good to have time that I devote specifically to Him. I am not condoning anthropomorphizing God or debasing Him in any manner, but in approaching my "relationship" with Him, it really does help to put it in terms that I can relate to.

No comments: