Friday, April 23, 2010

Welcome to Little 5

Little 500 (also called Little 5) is a bike race on campus that was immortalized in the movie Breaking Away. (Which is a good movie, btw.) There is a women's race today and a men's race tomorrow, and though it is ostensibly a weekend focusing on the races, it is actually an excuse for drunken debauchery, especially for the undergrads, which started earlier this week. I am trying to avoid downtown, except for work, and I already have 2 stories, witnessed a misdemeanor, and passed parties and drunk people. This is actually my 2nd Little 5 weekend, as I came apartment hunting last year, though I was able to escape the mayhem. I was, however, warned about it last year, so I was fairly prepared this year. My plan involves avoiding it as much as possible, which is not too hard, as I don't live in a party area.

I have 1 week of classes left and then finals. I actually have finals this semester. :-( They are all take homes/papers, and they are all due at about the same time, so I really need to start at least one of them this weekend. These 1st 2 semesters have gone by rather quickly. It's hard for me to realize that I am almost done with my 1st year of grad school, though I have a busy summer ahead of me. Instead of New Year's resolutions, I am making summer resolutions. There is a lot I want to accomplish this summer, and I need to start planning and making sure that I actually accomplish certain things. I am not very good at planning things. I prefer to fly by the seat of my pants, but that isn't always very effective. So, we'll see how it goes.

Blessings

1 comment:

Ancient Aunt said...

Your "Little 5" brought memories of the Veisha "celebration" that one of the Iowa universities used to have every year. I was never close to it, but it made the news regularly for its drunken stupidity... and was actually cancelled a few years because things got so out of hand. I never could see the point of such things... - Trust the weekend went well and some paperwork got started. Take care.