Sunday, September 19, 2010

War of 1812









I had a wonderful weekend. Great company and no work. A perfect combination. I had a great weekend in Ohio. It was so nice to see my friend again and also meet her friends. The first night we went to a nice Italian restaurant. I felt bad because I was late, but they were very gracious about having to wait. It was right by the river and the view of the river and city skyline was pleasant, though it got a bit chilly. We played Apples to Apples afterward, and I did decent. I beat the boys at least. :-) The next day my friend and I went to Fort Meigs, which was fun and relaxing. The pictures are from the fort. There was one "interpreter," who was pretty cool. I think he was a college kid doing it on the weekend, and he seemed to enjoy his job. He was very knowledgeable about the fort. I wish we could have talked to him more, but another group joined us. I don't know much about the War of 1812, and it was interesting to learn about the fort and the time period. After the fort we got ice cream, and I had a positively delicious cake batter ice cream/shake. With sprinkles. :-) After that, we had girls' night with another of her friends. We ate at a great Indian restaurant and then watched Love's Enduring Promise, which is my favorite of the series.

I also realized this weekend that I am firmly entrenched in grownup land. I have talked with friends about grownup land before, but it's starting to sink in. I know I'm still in school, but things are just feeling different. More...staid. I'm less young. Less idealistic and excited about the future, I guess. Things are different. Not bad different, but I'm trying to figure out how it's different. I'm not in undergrad anymore. And I never will be.

This will be a full week, and I should start on some homework. Here's to being productive.

2 comments:

Ancient Aunt said...

Sounds like a great weekend. Nice pictures! We hope to make it to the rendezvous at Fort Atkinson (IA)one day this weekend. We've been there lots of times, but it's always fun to see the costumes, tradegoods, lodges, etc. Brian and Jeanne will probably be set up for the weekend. - Take care. Love, Your Ancient Aunt

The Sisson Clan said...

Oh that looks like so much fun. We all love history events and places. I don't know much about the war of 1812, but we are going to study it during history this year.
Thanks for sharing your pictures!