Saturday, January 24, 2009

Touchstone

Quotes from Touchstone magazine:
"it is a perplexing theological conundrum to what extent real faith exists if the possibility of rejecting it does not exist also." James Hitchcock

"can see only fanaticism in those who believe that the natural pleasure-seeking of the human animal could actually send him to a place called "hell." S.M. Hutchens

Touchstone is an ecumenical Christian magazine that I started reading in August when I started my job. (It's one of the perks of working at a library :-) They have some interesting and thought provoking articles. I don't agree with all of them, but it still gives me an opportunity to evaluate why I do or don't agree with the author's point. The first quote comes from an article on modernity. I'm not a fan of the whole article, but this last sentence stuck out to me as very profound.

The next quote is from a review of Dinesh D'souza's book, "The Enemy at Home: The Cultural Left and Its Responsibility for 9/11." I love the wording of the quote, and it is true. People, namely liberals, but I believe all people, have a hard time believing that "natural pleasure-seeking" is wrong and can lead to eternal consequences and damnation. But I mainly love the phrasing. :-)

I got my hair cut today. I really miss my stylist back home, but I needed a haircut and I don't know when I'll be back in the area, so I went to a place here. Some of my friends had good haircuts, so I went to Attitudes. She did a dry cut, which I didn't like, but I think it turned out ok.

Dinner for 7 is tonight. I'm bringing the salad, so I need to go and buy the greens and dressing. I have the cranberries and walnuts already. I'm thinking dark leafy greens and spinach. I'm not a fan of iceberg salad. Dark green salad is so much prettier. :-)

2 comments:

Jacob said...

It is interesting that Aristotle points out that all humans work toward happiness, however, most tend to do so very poorly, mistaking pleasure (especially those of the immediate variety) for true happiness. Moral education, then, consists in training the soul in how to work toward happiness (by habituating virtue). It's an interesting explanation of the phenomenon your quote points to.

I too found Touchstone to be thought-provoking, but I agree that they occasionally have some not-so great ideas.

~Justin&Meg~ said...

I'm with ya on the dark greens...I'm not much into iceberg, unless it's shredded for tacos. ;)