Sunday, December 28, 2008

Lots and Lots

I had a very good Christmas, but it was too short. I miss the month off that I've been used to for the past 4 years. Actually, this is the first time in my life where I haven't had at least 2 weeks off for the holidays. It's ok though, because I only work two days this week.

Travel to and from my grandparents' house was crazy, though getting there was better than coming back. On the way back, I drove through the thickest fog. I had never driven with such reduced visibility. I decided to take the longer way back, as I was not going to do Chicago if I couldn't see the road signs. It's funny, but driving in fog has a lot of spiritual applications. I couldn't see very far ahead of me, and even when we know where we are going, or plan to go, in life, we don't know what's going to materialize out of the fog. Life is that way. I can lay plans, but I can't see very far ahead. I don't know what the Lord is going to provide or how He's going to curve the road ahead of me. All I can do is keep driving and keep trusting Him. Some days are foggier than others. Some days I can see clearly, and others I can't, but I really want to. I guess that's why it's hard to trust. I want to know what's going to happen, but I just have to believe that wherever the road leads and whatever happens, God has my interests and the interests of His glory and kingdom in mind.

It was so good to be with family and friends again. I was able to go out for lunch with Kara and her sister, which was fun, though I did add some extra tins to her luggage. Sorry. :-)

I so enjoy getting together with my family. We all can just laugh together. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. They crack me up, and we can just be ourselves.

My dad picked out some good CDs for me, including Brave Combo's "Polkatharsis" and the best of Allan Sherman. Allan Sherman is an older version of Weird Al. His most famous song is the Camp Granada song, "Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah." So funny.

There was a wicked wind last night. It woke me up, and I was worried about a tornado, especially as where I am living is a very bad place for tornados.

Happy New Year.

4 comments:

Kara said...

don't feel bad about it Brenna. I did enjoy them. In fact I had eaten most of mine before I left yesterday. : ) They were very good. The fog actually got better as you got closer to Chicago, at least this morning.

Rachel said...

Glad to hear you had a safe trip back, but sorry I missed you! I returned from Chile on Christmas Eve, and am still definitely in culture shock. When are you going to come visit me and SLIS? :)

Anonymous said...

we were in Peoria during that fog and some of my family were planning to head back to Douglas Co. but had to get hotel rooms instead

Unknown said...

Greetings from your cousin in North East Iowa. Sounds like you had a good time at your grandparents. Driving in fog really isn't much fun. I had to drive home from work in that stuff. The only thing worse is blowing snow. Not only do you not have any visibility but the road is hidden in snow as well. Hope that you holiday is going well and have a Happy New Year.

Arden